Thursday, August 2, 2007

Promises, promises.

So I never did get back here yesterday, as I ended up taking Iz for dinner and some shopping after work. Which means I didn't get to sleep last night because what I ate gave me a stomach ache, which means I'm still tired this morning. I did, however, successfully avoid the Snickers and Diet Coke lunch I was planning, so that's something.

On the way from Iz's day care (my sister-in-law's house) to dinner last night, Iz and I had an interesting discussion. Her favorite ever singer, Hannah Montana (Miley Cyrus, daughter of the achey-breaky-heart guy for those who are blessed by the lack of five year old girls in their life) was on the radio, singing something nauseating, when Iz suddenly piped up "When I get older, I'm going to be Hannah Montana". I had to bust her bubble, and tell her that when we grow up, we can only be ourselves, and not other people (I did stop short of pointing out that she definately couldn't become a Disney created pop star teenager with a badly-acted double life though - I'm not a monster). I did tell her that if she really wanted to, she could be like Hannah Montana, although I'm not entirely sure I'll be encouraging that development too much either.

So why do we tell our kids that they can be anything they want to be, and then constantly moderate it with "but not that"? Yesterday I settled for reminding Iz that she's Iz, and that as long as she's still herself and true to herself, we'll love her whatever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my daughters (being a dreadful mother I cant even remember which one) has no doubt what she's going to be when she grows up. A princess. Dur, how silly of me not to have known. I didnt have the heart to burst her bubble, and i spose theres always the chance that a prince may appear.

I'm with you on her NOT being Hannah Montana though btw