Friday, February 29, 2008

I wasn't planning on blogging today...

But I logged onto the BBC news website and found a story about someone so short sighted it takes my breath away. This guy. Apparently when you decide to walk to India relying upon the goodness of strangers you don't think about actually communicating with said strangers - they're just peons in the background there to provide you with everything you need. The most hilarious thing about this story? He's planning on walking around the coast of England while learning French in order to do this next year. Has anyone handed him a map and told him that he might need to think about a few more languages?

Which kind of brings me to my point. Plans. I've been putting a little simple planning into practice lately, and it's been awesome. Nothing special, just a list (made on Sundays) of what I plan to cook for dinner each night, and whether Iz will be buying school dinners or I need to pack her a lunch for each day. A tiny litte plan. A planette, if you will. I'm amazed at the difference that this has made in my life (and how much better the food is in our house if you actually think about it more than five minutes before you need to start cooking). So far we've had some really nice things, with lots of homemade pasta (yum!) and actualy real fresh food.

In other news, I'm going to get political here for a second. I'm amazed by how much my political outlook has changed just by living in a country run by President Bush. In a weird, twisted way I'm grateful for it - I've realized that what small faith I have plays a huge part in how I vote, and how I live my life - about not judging other people, and being there to help people who need it whoever they are - in short, I'm more of a confirmed Democrat now than I ever was before.

The more comments I hear about "minorities taking over the country" and "gosh we'll all be in Mosques next" the more scared I get. I get scared because the level of intolerance in this country seems to rise all the time. Otherwise educated people who I come across in my daily life seem to think it's OK to make fun of other faiths - people who would be outraged if you made an anti-Christian joke think it's just hilarious to make fun of someone else's faith. Quite a few of those people also seem to think that its unthinkable to elect a Black man President of the United States, because it means that "they'll take over". Excuse me? Who "they"?

I've been amazed by how these primary elections have laid bare some of the secret beliefs that people hold. That people who are different than themselves must have some secret agenda. Someone told me a few weeks ago that they really believe that Obama is a secret muslim, who as soon as he's elected will whip out a copy of the Quaran and say "fooled you all!".

I'm also amazed lately by my search for a church. I've visited lots of church websites and read lots of church newsletters, but only in one do I get the sense that everyone is truly welcome whatever their color, race or sexuality. Apparently Jesus only came to save straight white people, you see. The only church I've found that specifically states that all are welcome is too far away from me to be a real contender in the "Where Anna atends church" stakes.

Which brings me to another topic, while we're sort of here. A good friend posted a question on her blog that I think deserves much more space than a comment would allow. She asked people's feelings on the ordination of gay people in the Church of England. Here follows my rant:

Why is it so morally right to be a straight person? Do straight people have a monopoly on monogamy (try saying that three times fast) , moral behaviour and family values? Judging by some of the heterosexual relationships I've seen (and been involved in), I really don't believe it's any more moral to be straight than it is to be gay. It's how you live your life, not how you were born.

Some people argue that being gay is sinful behaviour. Well, I don't necessarily believe so, but if you want to take that arguement I'm just as sinful. Know why? Because I'm fat. I'm much more sure that gluttony is a sin than I'm sure that being gay is a sin, but I'm still fat. I'm an unrepentant sinner in this case, which makes me just as "biblically bad" as anyone. Yet I'm welcome to become a priest in the Church of England (assuming I felt that appropriate calling). I'm pretty much welcome everywhere, even though I wear my sin like a big overcoat, advertising it to all and sundry.

My third point here is a huge one, to me. I don't want to think about what my spiritual leader does in bed. Ever. I don't want to think about the Vicar and his wife, or the Vicar and his husband. Seriously - neither is more appealing to me. It's not important - just as it's not important in any other relationship that I have. I don't give a crap what my coworkers do in bed, or my neighbors. Or the bus driver. It shouldn't matter.

People are who they are. I can't change that I like pizza. I'll always like pizza. Even if I never see a pizza again in my life. Even if I promise to only eat celery for the rest of my life - I'll always prefer pizza, and, to stretch the analogy some, resent celery. to stretch the analogy somewhat further, what if I were to promise to everyone I'd only ever eat celery again, but snuck some pizza once in a while? That would be much worse than telling the world that I like pizza, and that occasionally I was going to go ahead and eat some, right?

So anyway, I get queasy when I see people turned away from a loving relationship with God because they're "not right". Because I know I'm as "not right" as they come, but noone turns me away, and because I'm not turned away, maybe I should speak up for those who are turned away, because I really don't think that God turns anyone away. If he does, then he's not a God I want to praise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don’t believe one optimistic word from any public figure about the economy or humanity in general. They are all part of the problem. Its like a game of Monopoly. In America, the richest 1% now hold 1/2 OF ALL UNITED STATES WEALTH. Unlike ‘lesser’ estimates, this includes all stocks, bonds, cash, and material assets held by America’s richest 1%. Even that filthy pig Oprah acknowledged that it was at about 50% in 2006. Naturally, she put her own ‘humanitarian’ spin on it. Calling attention to her own ‘good will’. WHAT A DISGUSTING HYPOCRITE SLOB. THE RICHEST 1% HAVE LITERALLY MADE WORLD PROSPERITY ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE. Don’t fall for any of their ‘humanitarian’ CRAP. ITS A SHAM. THESE PEOPLE ARE CAUSING THE SAME PROBLEMS THEY PRETEND TO CARE ABOUT. Ask any professor of economics. Money does not grow on trees. The government can’t just print up more on a whim. At any given time, there is a relative limit to the wealth within ANY economy of ANY size. So when too much wealth accumulates at the top, the middle class slip further into debt and the lower class further into poverty. A similar rule applies worldwide. The world’s richest 1% now own over 40% of ALL WORLD WEALTH. This is EVEN AFTER you account for all of this ‘good will’ ‘humanitarian’ BS from celebrities and executives. ITS A SHAM. As they get richer and richer, less wealth is left circulating beneath them. This is the single greatest underlying cause for the current US recession. The middle class can no longer afford to sustain their share of the economy. Their wealth has been gradually transfered to the richest 1%. One way or another, we suffer because of their incredible greed. We are talking about TRILLIONS of dollars. Transfered FROM US TO THEM. Over a period of about 27 years. Thats Reaganomics for you. The wealth does not ‘trickle down’ as we were told it would. It just accumulates at the top. Shrinking the middle class and expanding the lower class. Causing a domino effect of socio-economic problems. But the rich will never stop. They will never settle for a reasonable share of ANYTHING. They will do whatever it takes to get even richer. Leaving even less of the pie for the other 99% of us to share. At the same time, they throw back a few tax deductable crumbs and call themselves ‘humanitarians’. IT CAN’T WORK THIS WAY. Any 'humanitarian' progress made in one area will be lost in another. EVERY SINGLE TIME. IT ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT WORK THIS WAY. This is going to end just like a game of Monopoly. The current US recession will drag on for years and lead into the worst US depression of all time. The richest 1% will live like royalty while the rest of us fight over jobs, food, and gasoline. Crime, poverty, and suicide will skyrocket. So don’t fall for all of this PR CRAP from Hollywood, Pro Sports, and Wall Street PIGS. ITS A SHAM. Remember: They are filthy rich EVEN AFTER their tax deductable contributions. Greedy pigs. Now, we are headed for the worst economic and cultural crisis of all time. SEND A “THANK YOU” NOTE TO YOUR FAVORITE MILLIONAIRE. ITS THEIR FAULT. I’m not discounting other factors like China, sub-prime, or gas prices. But all of those factors combined still pale in comparison to that HUGE transfer of wealth to the rich. Anyway, those other factors are all related and further aggrivated because of GREED. If it weren’t for the OBSCENE distribution of wealth within our country, there never would have been such a market for sub-prime to begin with. Which by the way, was another trick whipped up by greedy bankers and executives. IT MAKES THEM RICHER. The credit industry has been ENDORSED by people like Oprah, Ellen, Dr Phil, and many other celebrities. IT MAKES THEM RICHER. Now, there are commercial ties between nearly every industry and every public figure. IT MAKES THEM RICHER. So don’t fall for their ‘good will’ BS. ITS A LIE. If you fall for it, then you’re a fool. If you see any real difference between the moral character of a celebrity, politician, attorney, or executive, then you’re a fool. WAKE UP PEOPLE. ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. The 1% club will always say or do whatever it takes to get as rich as possible. Without the slightest regard for anything or anyone but themselves. Vioxx. Their idea. Sub-prime. Their idea. NAFTA. Their idea. Outsourcing. Their idea. The commercial lobbyist. Their idea. The multi-million dollar lawsuit. Their idea. $200 cell phone bills. Their idea. $200 basketball shoes. Their idea. $30 late fees. Their idea. $30 NSF fees. Their idea. $20 DVDs. Their idea. Subliminal advertising. Their idea. The MASSIVE campaign to turn every American into a brainwashed credit card, pharmaceutical, love-sick, celebrity junkie. Their idea. All of which concentrate the world’s wealth and resources and wreak havok on society. All of which have been CREATED AND ENDORSED by celebrities, athletes, and executives. IT MAKES THEM RICHER. So don’t fall for their ‘ good will’ ‘humanitarian’ BS. ITS A SHAM. NOTHING BUT TAX DEDUCTABLE PR CRAP. Bottom line: The richest 1% will soon tank the largest economy in the world. It will be like nothing we’ve ever seen before. and thats just the beginning. Greed will eventually tank every major economy in the world. Causing millions to suffer and die. Oprah, Angelina, Brad, Bono, and Bill are not part of the solution. They are part of the problem. EXTREME WEALTH HAS MADE WORLD PROSPERITY ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE. WITHOUT WORLD PROSPERITY, THERE WILL NEVER BE WORLD PEACE OR ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE. GREED KILLS. IT WILL BE OUR DOWNFALL. Of course, the rich will throw a fit and call me a madman. Of course, their ignorant fans will do the same. You have to expect that. But I speak the truth. If you don’t believe me, then copy this entry and run it by any professor of economics or socio-economics. Then tell a friend. Call the local radio station. Re-post this entry or put it in your own words. Be one of the first to predict the worst economic and cultural crisis of all time and explain its cause. WE ARE IN BIG TROUBLE.