Saturday, July 28, 2007

Who's afraid of the big, bad dentist?

I made Iz an appointment at the dentist for a few weeks from now - part of the school's drive to make sure kids have teeth when they enter kindergarten, apparently. She has to have a form filled out by a dentist, stating that he's inspected her teeth and she's either OK or undergoing a treatment program for any problems.

I can see the good side of this - kids get their dental needs adressed at an early age, good habits, all that stuff. Part of me, however, wonders how much those dentists paid the Maryland State lawmakers to put this into practice. Iz has already lost two teeth, with one more loose, and her new ones are growing in with no problems. She's never had any tooth pain, and some dentist is going to be able to hold this stupid form over my head and demand that she has an expensive treatment program - who knows whether she really needs it or not?

I've asked around, and picked the most trustworthy dentist I can find. Problem is, since I was a kid, I've not trusted any dentist. Ever since the orthodontist I saw when I was 11 made me insane with fear every time I saw him, I've not been exactly in love with the profession. In fact, I'm scared silly of dentists. Now I'm trying really really hard not to transmit my fear to Iz, who doesn't seem incredibly happy about the idea anyway. We'll get through it, and hopefully it's not traumatic for anyone.

Other things that have happened since I last blogged - not much really. We went on the huge "school supplies" shop yesterday. Iz was excited, and C and I were at each others throats before we got to the end of the first aisle. I say that whne the list says you need 8 large glue sticks, you buy the 8 large glue sticks (even if thay are $2 each). C says that 12 regular glue sticks ($3 total) amount to the same thing and nobody will care - whoa! Culture difference!

If it's specific on the list, then I say we should buy what's specifically stated on the list. I guess part of this is the way I was brought up - follow the instructions to the letter, especially when it comes to school requirements - how else would my school have been able to get my parents to buy uniform that was insanely expensive?

Chris thinks a list is more of a guideline. In fact, if something's not on the list and he likes the look of it, in the cart it goes. If something's close to being on the list, and much cheaper than the item on the list - in the cart it goes. If something on the list isn't in stock and there's a close-ish alternative? You guessed it - into the cart.

It drove me insane! In the end we compromised - I let him by with the glue sticks, but everything else is the same as on the list. Except the tissues - they didn't specify a size for the tissue box, so we improvised. Scary.

No comments: