Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It never rains....

but my life does turn into an insane drama (with some unintentional comedy).

I got in the car to pick C up last night, went to the gas station, and grabbed enough gas to get me to the airport and back - there is nowhere convenient near BWI to get gas. So I'm pulling out of the gas station when my car makes that squealy belt sound, but in a really urgent kind of way. Cue much smoke, steam and drama. There goes that belt that I thought sounded funny for the last couple of weeks. Yes, I know, it's my fault.

So I haul it back home with no power steering (no power anything) and stick around for long enough to check that nothing's going to explode (an exploratory look under the hood and three minutes). I bundle Iz into the truck and set out for the airport, grabbing more gas on the way. Yes, I managed to spend $35 on gas before I even got out of my hometown last night. We make it to the airport, and find that C's flight is over an hour late getting in - later than it was when we had left the house. I find a bookstore, buy a book and spend 45 minutes on the floor of the arrivals hall reading it to Iz. Finally C's plane gets in, and I spend a few mintues animatedly explaining to him why we're all sqeezing into the front of his truck. By this time it's 10pm and we haven't even left the airport yet.

Well, we made it home last night, and C got up at 4am to take Iz to daycare (thank goodness for wonderful sisters-in-law who get up really early) and then came home to drive me to work - so I showed up an hour early. Luckily enough, one of the guys i work wit hhas offered to take a look at the car at lunchtime, so if it's just the belt that's the problem I might not have to pay to get it towed to a shop and worked on there. Good thing too - C is wonderful, and good at many things, but cars are not one of those things.

So I've now managed 6 hours sleep over the last two nights combined. I'm exhausted, which is making me emotional. Now I'm sitting here at work desperately hoping that it is indeed just the belt. Spare money just isn't really happening right now. We already spent the money we had put aside to go out for my birthday on a flight from Florida, now we're digging into savings, and that's not a really deep reserve. At least we have a savings account - we only opened it at Christmas, so the picture in general is definately looking up, if you don't look at too many of the details...

No comments: