Thursday, January 15, 2009

So it’s time to update…

Even though there’s really not much to write about. Well, there is, but I don’t really know where to start., so I’m going to take it slowly, category by category.

 

Personal stuff:

- Still job searching, getting kind of discouraged by the whole process. I apply and apply, and even get interviews, but I can’t get anyone to bite. I’m starting to think that there’s a specific reason for that, but hopefully that reason won’t exist after the next few months. It’s frustrating. I need a job to pay for any retraining onto a new industry, but I can’t get a job because I’m in competition with a gazillion other people for each and every job. If I could train for another area, I could apply for more jobs, but I can’t, because I can’t afford the retaining.

 

- Christmas was awesome – we had a family Christmas with my Mum and Dad visiting, and I relaxed for the first time in I don’t know how long. Pictures to follow, possibly, depending on how lazy I get. So don’t count on pictures showing up anytime soon (although I’m trying Windows writer, which means at least I have a desktop icon to guilt trip me into blogging).

 

Bigger stuff:

 

So it’s time for the inauguration on Tuesday. Unfortunately we have plans on Saturday (Iz has a birthday party to go to) – I would have liked to take her down to Baltimore where Barack Obama will be appearing Saturday afternoon. I’m so excited about this – we’ll finally be rid of the idiot Bush. I’m just hoping that America as a country really can change, because what I see sometimes is so really screwed up. What still needs to change are attitudes, and there’s a long road there. America is still definitely a country with a lot of intolerance – not just racial, but religious (it’s OK to be a fundamentalist Christian, but try being anything else in this “Land of the Free”).

 

My thoughts on the whole thing are a bit jumbled right now – somehow I feel bitter towards a lot of what I’ve tried to embrace over the last ten years or so. I’ve been through periods where I feel that England and the US are very similar, and then there are times when I feel that for two countries that share a lot of things, you couldn’t live in a more alien society. Maybe more about that in an upcoming blog post, because it should probably be explored.

 

OK – so apologies for the blog post about nothing, I promise I’ll come up with some good subjects soon.

No comments: